Friday, July 6, 2012

Craft Time: DIY Scarf & Golf Cake

So needless to say I've had a little less time these days for crafts (due to the little man you see below), but I have managed to have a little DIY fun. 


Yep. I just had to sneak in a photo. He's just too perfect not to feature. I can't deprive my readers of such a joy. OK, OK. Now, back to business. 

A while back I participated in a volunteer opportunity at church. It was a craft night open to our church women and a local women's recovery group. Besides fellowship, the focus of the night was obviously a craft. We all made scarves out of old t-shirts. It was so incredibly simple and a lot of fun! 

Here is the one I created. I used strips of fabric from a large gray t-shirt for mine. The "flower" detail was added once I got home and got my hands on a glue gun. 




The other "crafty" item I made recently was in the kitchen. For the first time ever, I made a cake and icing from scratch! I was quite intimidated, but I wanted to make a perfect cake for Father's Day. It was my hubby's first and my dad was in town to celebrate as well so I knew it had to be good. 

I knew I'd win the boys over on the flavor choice: Dark Chocolate Guinness cake with Bailey's Buttercream Frosting. (Oh, yeah. It was a man's cake for sure.) But I really wanted to create a fun decoration as well. The end result was inspired by their favorite activity and was a huge hit.





The "hole" is actually cut out of the cake and the flag says, "Happy Father's Day". (It also said, "You two are above Par", which didn't really work out since my hubby informed me  that being above par was a bad thing in golf. I guess that's what I get for trying to be clever with golf lingo. Oops.)

So my adorable little boy may be distracting from my craft time, but I'll still manage to squeak something out every now and then. Momma's got to have a little fun, right?

Until next time...
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Love the cake and the scarf! :) Glad you're still able to have some craft time, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a chance to check this out, sis. Love the scarf, will have to teach me how. And the cake looks FABULOUS. Was it as delicious as it looked?

    I'm cracking up, by the way with the golf lingo fail. :) Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete